At the end of the last season, I started thinking about how much more flexibility I’d have in mixing and applying dyes if I wasn’t over-dying already saturated fibers. Easy fix for millspun yarn – simply select a base, skein the cones up, and dye.
Yeah, right. After much research, I finally decided on a 2-ply fingering 65/35 cashmere/silk blend, shown on the right of the image. Choosing my colors, though, is proving even harder. I know I’ll start with a cranberry red and a spicy gold and probably a gray. Or maybe a teal. Or a moss green. Or a blue. Or a chocolate. Or maybe spring tones, by the time I actually dye the yarn. So many colors. So little time.
Re: the cashmere – As you can see from the hanks on the left of the image, I’ve been hoarding my white recycled yarn. And while that frees me to play with color, it has severely restricted my quantity. This year, I’ll be exploring a new source where quantity won’t be an issue. We’ll see what happens. You know what they say about announcing your intentions…
In the meantime, I’ll be practicing on my new (used) drum carder. First batch was baby camel, cashmere and superfine merino. Because the camel had not been processed as well as I would have liked, the entire batch came out – well, let’s just say there’s room for improvement. Just part of that blank slate!